For a generation, the Basic Essentials series has been as much a part of the outdoors experience as backpacks and hiking boots. Information-packed tools for the novice or handy references for the veteran, these volumes distill years of knowledge into affordable and portable books. Whether you're planning a trip or thumbing for facts in the field Basic Essentials books tell you what you need to know.
Inside Basic Essentials® Map and Compass (Third Edition) you'll discover techniques for:
- Choosing and using the right type of compass
- Using a map and compass in concert with a GPS receiver
- Reading and understanding contour lines and other map features
- Plotting a course and finding your way through the wilderness
- Using the stars to navigate rivers, streams, and trails at night
- Finding and ordering the maps you need